Book Free Consultation
Book Appointment or Video Consultation online with top eye doctors
Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) is a laser eye surgery that involves reshaping the lens of the eye. A refractive issue occurs when light cannot be bent appropriately by your eyes, preventing you from seeing properly. After your PRK, there’s a chance you won’t need glasses or contact lenses any more, or only for specific activities like reading or driving at night.
PRK is usually an outpatient procedure, which means you can go home the same day. The surgery itself only takes a few minutes, but the whole process — including prep time and recovery — can take several hours.
Most people have good vision within a few days of PRK, but it can take up to three months for your vision to stabilize. During that time, you might need to wear glasses or contact lenses.
PRK is performed by removing the surface layer of the cornea, called the epithelium. This is done using a device called a microkeratome or a femtosecond laser. Once the epithelium is removed, the excimer laser is used to reshape the cornea. Finally, a contact lens or bandage is placed over the eye to protect it during healing.
PRK can be performed on one eye at a time or both eyes at the same time. The procedure usually takes less than 30 minutes. Recovery from PRK takes a few days to a week. Most people experience some discomfort and light sensitivity immediately after the procedure. These symptoms typically resolve within a few days.
Benefits of PRK
PRK surgery involves permanently changing the shape of your eye’s cornea, which is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of your eye.
Some of the advantages of PRK eye surgery are:
- Better choice for people with very thin corneas or other eye conditions that make LASIK unsafe.
- Better choice for athletes, military personnel, and others who are at risk of eye injuries because there is no flap of tissue created
- PRK recovery may be quicker than LASIK, and you may experience less discomfort during the healing process.
- No risk of flap complications with PRK
- Better quality vision as compared to LASIK
- Reduced risk of serious complications, such as flap dislocation.
Why PRK Surgery?
Keep in mind that each technique has advantages and disadvantages. An ophthalmologist must examine a patient to determine which treatment is best for him or her.
|PRK / LASEK
|In use for
|Recovery of eyesight
|Full stabilization of eyesight
|Side Effects after treatment
|Irritation lasting 3 days, Occasional pain possible.
|Irritation lasting 24 hours
|Irritation lasting 6 hours
|Risk of dislocation, tearing, or loss of corneal flap
|Dryness of the eye after treatment
|Yes. Permanent in rare cases
PRK Surgery Aftercare
After your PRK surgery, you will need to take care of your eyes to ensure a successful recovery.
Here are some aftercare tips:
- Use the artificial tears or ointment prescribed by your doctor to keep your eyes lubricated and reduce irritation.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes. It is important not to rub your eyes or get soap or water in them for at least four weeks after surgery.
- Wear sunglasses when you go outside. Sunglasses will help protect your eyes from the sun and wind.
- You should avoid activities that could cause you to sweat or get your heart rate up for at least four weeks after surgery. This includes exercise, saunas, and hot tubs.
- Use eye drops as prescribed. Your doctor may prescribe eye drops to help with the healing process.
The cost of PRK surgery with Eyemantra is very affordable. We offer a variety of payment options to make the surgery as affordable as possible for our patients. There are a number of financing options available for those who qualify. We also accept major credit cards and offer a variety of discounts for those who pay cash up front.
/ flap tearing)
/ thin cornea)
|Standard LASIK In Delhi
|Basic standard surgery for specs removal
|C LASIK In Delhi
|Customized to cornea
|Contoura In Delhi
|Corneal polishing and aberration removal for super vision.
|TransPRK In Delhi
|One step procedure: Bladeless, Flapless, Touchless, and Safest
|Femto LASIK In Delhi
|Laser used to create flap
|ICL Surgery In Delhi
|Eye lens replaced with a new lens
|Smart Surf LASIK In Delhi
|5D Eye tracking with aberration removal | Max tissue saving
|SMILE In Delhi
|Laser used to extract eye tissue for vision correction
Best Eye Hospital.
There are several world-class eye hospitals that provide LASIK Laser eye surgery, including the L.V. Prasad Eye Institute in Hyderabad and Sankara Nethralaya in Chennai, as well as AIIMS and Eye Mantra in India. In Delhi, there are a number of remarkable eye hospitals that offer LASIK surgery, too.
We use the most cutting-edge equipment and technology to provide complete eye care for our LASIK, SMILE, Contura, and ICL patients. We are dedicated to offering low-cost high-quality eye surgery services that help our customers improve their eyesight and quality of life.
If you’re thinking about undergoing LASIK eye surgery, we recommend that you schedule an appointment with us so that we may analyze your unique circumstances and recommend the finest treatment for you. We are delighted to help you in seeing more clearly!
Top PRK Surgeons in Delhi
We have the most experienced and skilled surgeons in the field, and our state-of-the-art facilities are equipped with the latest technology. This allows us to provide you with the best possible care and results.