Lasik surgery is a popular choice for many people who want to improve their vision. It can be a great option for those with vision problems. And it can help you see clearly without the need for glasses or contact lenses. However, many people are unsure if Lasik is allowed in the Indian Army. In this blog post, we will discuss everything you need to know about Lasik and the Indian Army!
What Is Lasik Surgery?
Lasik surgery is a type of refractive surgery that is used to correct vision in people who are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism. The surgery is performed by using a laser to reshape the cornea, which is the clear outer layer of the eye. It is believed that this type of surgery can reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses.
Lasik surgery has been approved by the FDA and is considered to be a safe and effective way to improve vision. The surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis. That means that you will not have to stay in the hospital overnight. So, if you are considering Lasik surgery, you may be wondering if it is allowed in the Indian Army. Let’s further move to this question.
Is Lasik Allowed In The Indian Army?
Well, this question does not have a straightforward answer as the army has different policies for different soldiers. So, it really depends on your position in the army and what your commanding officer says.
That said, there are some general guidelines that you can follow if you’re considering Lasik surgery while serving in the Indian Army. First and foremost, it’s important to understand that Lasik is considered an elective surgery. This means that it’s not essential for your health or well-being and is purely for cosmetic purposes.
As such, the army may not be too keen on approving Lasik surgery for its soldiers. This is because they need to be sure that you’re fit enough to serve and that the surgery won’t have any negative effects on your ability to do your job.
If you had surgery, then you must have a healthy lifestyle and good eating habits to make sure that the surgery is successful. The retina should be healthy and a vision of 6/6 with or without glasses is considered to be good for LASIK surgery.
In general, the army is more likely to approve Lasik surgery for officers than for enlisted soldiers. This is because officers are more likely to be in leadership positions. And need to have a clear vision in order to perform their duties effectively.
Overall, getting Lasik surgery while serving in the Indian Army is possible, but it’s not a guarantee. It really depends on your position in the army and what your commanding officer says. If you’re considering Lasik surgery, be sure to speak to your doctor and get all the facts before making a decision.
What Are Some Basic Rules?
Generally, before undergoing any type of surgery, you will need to check the basic rules and eligibility of each army. LASIK surgery is usually not allowed in the Indian Army unless there is a waiver given by the army medical board.
There are a few basic rules for every navy, army, or air force. Let’s discuss these briefly.
In this section, we will discuss the general rules and policies of the Indian Navy with respect to LASIK surgery.
As per the current policy of the Indian Navy, any sailor who wishes to undergo LASIK surgery must have a minimum of 6/60 vision in both eyes. In addition to this, your age should not exceed 40 years and you should have completed a minimum of 3 years in service.
You will also need to submit a detailed application that must be supported by the following documents:
- A detailed report from the ophthalmologist, which includes your visual acuity test results, refraction, and keratometry readings.
- No objection certificate from your commanding officer.
- Your medical records for the past 5 years.
- Recommendation from the Ophthalmology Department Head of the nearest Military Hospital/Command Hospital.
For Indian Army
Now, if you want to get Lasik surgery done while you are in the Indian Army, there are a few things that you need to know. First and foremost, you need to be aware of the fact that Lasik is allowed in the Indian Army. However, there are certain restrictions that are placed on this surgery.
The most important restriction is that your Lasik surgery must be performed by a board-certified ophthalmologist. This is because the Indian Army wants to ensure that only the best surgeons are performing this surgery on their soldiers.
Another important restriction is that you must have been in the Indian Army for at least two years before you are eligible for Lasik surgery. This is to ensure that you are a stable and reliable soldier before undergoing such a major surgery.
Once you have met these requirements, you will need to get a letter from your commanding officer stating that you are cleared for Lasik surgery. This letter must then be sent to the ophthalmologist who will be performing your surgery.
For Indian Airforce
To become a pilot, the eyesight of an applicant must be 6/6 in both eyes with or without glasses. If an applicant has undergone any kind of refractive surgery including LASIK, their application will be rejected.
The only exception to this rule is if the surgery was done more than five years before the date of application and the applicant’s current vision is still 6/6.
What Are The Post-Lasik Precautions?
There are some post-operative care guidelines that are to be followed stringently in order to ensure a successful and speedy recovery. These are:
- For the first few days after the surgery, avoid rubbing your eyes as this may disturb the delicate healing process that is taking place.
- It is important to use eye drops as prescribed by your surgeon in order to keep your eyes lubricated.
- You must also avoid exposing your eyes to dust, smoke, or any other irritants during the healing period.
- It is advisable to sleep with your head slightly elevated for the first few nights after surgery as this will help reduce swelling and discomfort.
- You must avoid strenuous activities or contact sports for at least a week after surgery
- Remember to follow up with your surgeon as scheduled in order to monitor your healing progress
By following these simple post-operative care guidelines, you can ensure a successful and complication-free recovery from Lasik surgery. It is often said that Lasik is a life-changing experience and indeed it can be, provided you take good care of your eyes after the surgery.
So don’t delay, if you are eligible for Lasik, go ahead and get the procedure done! It just might change your life for the better.
Can You Reduce Your Eye Number Without Lasik Surgery?
Well, the answer is yes! You can improve your eyesight without opting for surgery. Here are some of the things you can do:
- Do some exercises: There are a number of eye exercises that can help improve your vision. One such exercise is the ‘palming’ technique wherein you rub your palms together to generate heat and then place them over your eyes for a few minutes. This will help relax your eye muscles and improve blood circulation to the area.
- Focus on a distant object: Another easy and effective exercise is to focus on an object placed at a distance. And then bring it closer to your eyes. This helps in strengthening your eye muscles.
- Eat healthily: A nutritious diet plays a vital role in maintaining good vision. Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet, as well as foods that are rich in vitamin A, such as eggs and milk.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your eyesight. It increases the risk of developing cataracts and macular degeneration. So it’s best to quit if you want to protect your vision.
- Wear protective glasses: If you work in a profession that exposes you to harmful chemicals or particles, it’s important to wear protective glasses. This will help safeguard your eyes from damage.
- Get regular eye checkups: Finally, one of the best things you can do for your eyesight is to get regular eye checkups. This will help detect any problems early on and allow you to get the treatment you need.
So, there you have it – some tips that can help improve your eyesight without surgery. Give them a try and see for yourself!
In a nutshell, the answer to – is Lasik allowed in the Indian army can be both yes and no. It all depends on your suitability for the surgery. And whether or not you get the green light from your commanding officer. Just make sure to follow all post-operative instructions carefully in order to ensure a successful outcome.
For more information, please contact Eye Mantra. We would be happy to schedule a consultation for you. EyeMantra offers the most advanced eye surgery options including PRK, Femto Lasik, SMILE surgery, Standard lasik, and Contoura vision. If you have any questions on lasik surgery, lasik surgery cost and lasik procedure, call us at +91-9711116605 or email at [email protected].